White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
This past weekend, we entered a chili cook off contest. Correction: Lance entered us (read: me) into the contest. Friends of ours were putting it on for charity, and if you read my New Year’s post, you saw that my number one goal this coming year is to give back more. So even though I was out of town all week, and I’ve never cooked anything in bulk before in my life…we entered a chili cook off LOL.
We had no intention in winning…we just wanted to bring some good chili. My favorite chili is a chicken chili that I make often, and I thought it would break up all the tomato based beef chilis. It is really delicious, especially with all the toppings!
White Bean Chicken Chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 garlic gloves, chopped
4 poblano peppers, chopped
2 banana peppers, chopped
1 jalepeno pepper, chopped
1 pound ground chicken or cubed chicken breast
1 T cumin
1 T oregano
dash of cayenne
1 ¾ cups broth (chicken or I use Rapunzel veggie cubes)
2 cans (15 oz) white beans
Juice from half a lime
A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste
Shredded white cheddar
Green Dragon Hot Sauce
1. In a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and peppers and cook, stirring until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, (add more olive oil if the pot starts to dry out), 4 to 5 minutes. Add the spices to the pot and turn a few times to coat the chicken evenly.
3. Rinse and drain one can of beans. Pour the other can of undrained beans into a bowl and either mash or use an immersion blender to process.
4. Add the beans and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt to taste.
6. Garnish with toppings and serve.
When I’m making a recipe like this, I always use my Chop Wizard, it makes it SO much easier!
One of our friends actually did win for Hottest Chili! He’s single ladies!
We combined the votes for both of our chilis and still lost LOL.
Shop my look:
I love this little stripe tee so much! It’s the perfect length for high-waist pants and it has a cute keyhole in the back. It’s going to be so cute with cut offs in the spring! Thanks for reading!